On behalf of the 10 Lake Associations listed below, we are pleased to announce the Gravenhurst Municipal Election 2018 – List of Aligned Candidates (pdf). The list reflects those candidates whose views best align with the core values of our members and have been approved by the Boards of the Lake Associations:
- Gull & Silver Lakes Residents’ Association
- Kahshe Lake Rate Payers’ Association
- Loon & Turtle Lake Cottage Association
- Muldrew Lakes Cottagers Association
- Muskoka Bay Property Owners Association
- Muskoka Lakes Association
- Pine Lake Ratepayers Association
- Riley Lake Property Owners Association
- South Muskoka Lake Community Association
- Sunny Lake Cottagers & Ratepayers Association
In July, the Lake Associations met and agreed on five core/shared values:
- The Environment is our Economy
- No High-Density Residential Developments on our Lakes
- We are One Community of Permanent and Seasonal Residents
- Improved Fiscal Responsibility
- Good and Civil Governance
The Associations also agreed to provide information and guidance to our members regarding the candidates running for office through the following selection process:
- All of the 13 candidates running for office were interviewed by a committee consisting of Presidents or Directors of five different associations.
- The candidates were also evaluated based upon their positions on key issues and the answers they provided during the two hour All Candidates Meeting sponsored by the lake associations, held on August 30 at the Terry Fox Auditorium.
- For incumbents candidates running for re-election, the selection process also considered their performance on Council and their voting records over the past four years.
For your convenience we have included a PDF of the Gravenhurst Aligned Candidates List. We suggest you save it on your computer, print out several copies, and share them with your friends and neighbours. We also encourage you to share this e-mail broadly with your Muskoka community.
We are fortunate to live in Canada where we get to choose our representatives through open and fair elections. We are also fortunate to be guaranteed the freedom of association, as well as the freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression by the Canadian Charter of Rights & Freedoms. The Lake Associations who have undertaken the task of developing the attached list take those freedoms seriously. We trust our members will consider and evaluate this and other pertinent information to assist with making an informed vote in October.
For more information contact Donna Mclean or Jim Davis